Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We have finally arrived...

after two plane flights, two train trips, and countless hours sent lolli-gagging around airports and train stations. All I can say is, if you can spare the money to commute directly to Florence, DO IT! But if you don't...it's not so bad? And, I should not complain -- both me and Jen wore good luck talismans, and they worked! Not a single leg of the trip gave us any problems, it was just quite the expedition. It also afforded me the opportunity to people watch, which I always enjoy. Two things I noted: 1) much like Puerto Rico, many italian grandma's dress like their teenage daughters, and 2) italian babies are freakin adorable. Also, I watched a beggar beg for money...to buy a cappucino. Classic.

After 21 hours spent in transit, two very weary girls arrived at the doorstep of our Florence apartment. The apartment itself is teensy, but very cute. A glorified studio really, with one open room (more or less) serving as the bedroom, kitchen, dinning room, and living area. The bathroom is separate and surprising large, with a toilet and bidet...should I want to pee like a parisian. AND, we have a balcony, which I suspect will become the most popular place in our abode.

We live rather close to a church with REAL BELLS apparently, not just a recording (Meag, I know you will be gratified to hear that). I enjoy the ringing of the hours as it reminds me of the grandfather clock my parents own, which I grew up listening to. However, what I DON'T like is when the bells peele like mad at 7:15 am. Not 7, not 8, not even 7:30, but 7:15! And it was not musical or charming in the least; it was as if Igor Stravinsky had gotten really drunk and decided to play with the bells for a while. Fingers crossed it was some mad hunchback let loose in the bell-tower, and not an everyday thing.

If any of you darlings out there want a postcard, please send me an email with addy! Kisses!

2 comments:

  1. Thank god for real bells...

    I miss you already. Lots. But you are going to have so very very very very much fun there and you will come back wishing you were still there every single frickin day, like I miss Guate. And that will be a good thing.

    AHHHH THERE IS ONE OF THOSE GIANT CREEPY FLIES IN HERE AND YOU ARE NOT HERE TO GET IT AND YOU KNOW HOW I HATE THEM.

    - Meggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, please!

    good for the talismans (talismen?), i'm glad you are there safely. can't wait to read about all your adventures!

    ReplyDelete